Obese dogs are a really serious health problem. But most dog owners are unaware of this. Most people think that feeding cats and dogs as much as they want is a way to show love to their dog. However, this is one of the main causes of dangerous health problems. Can shorten a dog’s lifespan.
When the dog’s weight exceeds 10-15% the standard is considered obese dogs. In developed countries, obesity is a common nutritional disease in dogs and cats. The morbidity rate tends to increase. In Vietnam, the number of people who keep pets is constantly increasing. The pet’s obesity is also gradually getting better.
Why dogs and cats are obese?
Obesity is a condition where too much excess fat accumulates in the body. Usually occurs in overfeeding and sedentary dogs and cats. The disease is common in adult dogs, between the ages of 5 and 10 years old. Dogs that have been spayed or kept indoors are also at high risk of obesity.
Obese dogs affect every part of the body, including bones, joints, digestive tract and respiratory cells. The veterinarian will diagnose and provide solutions for the health and obesity of the dogs.
Causes of obesity in dogs
There are many causes of obesity in dogs. The most common is the mismatch between the energy they consume and the energy used every day – eating more than the body needs. Obesity is also common in adult dogs. Due to this age, their ability to function gradually becomes weaker.
An unhealthy dog food diet, too many carbohydrates, or a regular treat also leads to obesity in dogs. Some other causes of the disease:
- Hypothyroidism: A decrease in activity in the thyroid gland.
- Insulinoma: Endocrine pancreatic tumor.
- Hyperadrenocorticism: disorder of endocrine excess, and post-sterilization.
Symptoms indicate that the dog is obese
To evaluate whether a dog is obese or not, can use the simplest way. When touching ribs with hands, if there is no sense of class, it is indicated that they are obese. Dogs and cats with obesity also have other physiological features: when viewed from above or when they shake left and right, the abdomen will protrude; the sides of the abdomen and ribs will have a large area of fat. When walking left and right, not moving normally… means your dog is overweight.
This does not imply anything about the owner’s dog care. But only advice: obesity is not good for the health of dogs.
The easiest way to tell if your dog is obese is to swipe down on his or her belly. You will easily find the ribs. The feeling of touching each bone is a bit like when you run your hand over the washing board. Likewise, swipe down the center of the dog’s back and you will reach the spine.
But some dogs don’t eat much, why are they still overweight? The problem is due to the difference between the energy “charged” and the energy consumed. If your dog eats a lot without regular exercise, he or she will gain weight. Some dogs have a number of medical conditions that cause them to be overweight:
- Rapid weight gain.
- Excess fat accumulation in one or more body parts.
- Inability or inactivity.
- Body metrics were above normal.
Obesity is diagnosed by measuring your dog’s weight or by calculating his fitness parameters. The veterinarian will check it by manipulating the bones, back, tail, and head. Then compare these with the standard stats for your breed. The score of obese dogs will be 10 to 15% above the standard.
The risks when cats are obese
- Osteoarthritis and joint mobility disorders: More than 24% of obese cats and dogs have serious osteoarthritis disorders, including arthritis, spinal disc herniation and neurological disorders. In Vietnam, disc herniation in animals caused by obesity is increasing more and more. This type of disease is very difficult to treat and often returns.
- Difficulty breathing: When the movement becomes more obvious. This is due to the excess fat forming that thickens the chest lining and increases the required air. The author once saw an obese and hypoxic dog after exercising with a purple tongue, looking pitiful.
- The burden on the heart should lead to congestive heart disease: At clinical death, animal anatomy can clearly verify this.
- Fatty liver disease and gallbladder disease: The author once diagnosed and treated obesity for a dog. After a sudden death, autopsy was found to find that fatty liver was very serious, leading to liver rupture.
- Decreased fertility: This is evident in purebred breeding. Too much nutrition but no exercise, leads to fat accumulation in the body. Makes fertility of the female dog significantly reduced.
- Difficulty to deliver high rates: Dogs and cats that are obese, even when pregnant, can have difficulty calving. From hospital statistics, the rate of difficulty in giving birth of obese dogs is over 80%; obese pets make it difficult for veterinarians to grasp the dose of anesthetic during surgery; Because the layer of fat under the skin is too much, after surgery the wound will heal quite slowly.
- Endocrine diseases: Such as diabetes.
- Skin disease: For the clinical veterinarian, skin disease is the most common and most common headache.
- Difficult to diagnose clinically: For example, hearing the disease, thereby affecting the diagnosis of the disease, even leading to mistakes in treatment.
You see, obese dogs have a lot of risks. As a veterinarian, I remind you to lose weight for your pet because of its health.
How to treat obese dogs
To treat obesity dogs, we need to ensure dogs maintain long-term weight loss, by reducing their daily energy intake and increasing the frequency of their movements.
The recommended diet is high in protein and fiber but low in fat. Because protein has the ability to stimulate metabolism and energy consumption in the body. At the same time creates a feeling of fullness. Avoid letting your puppy feel hungry right after eating. Fiber contains very little energy, promotes bowel movement and energy use.
Another factor needed to successfully treat obese dogs is to increase the frequency of physical activity in the dog. You should give them a walk 2 times a day for at least 15 minutes each time, and play active games with your dog like catch. You can buy more flying saucers for your dog to help them get more active.
Effective diet for obese dogs
Obesity can lead to many diseases. An obese dog’s diet needs a lot of attention. Choose foods high in fiber and low in calories. Certain foods like whole grains and vegetables are also suitable for dogs in this condition. But when processing, you have to add a few things to make the food fragrant. For example, add some meat, otherwise the puppy won’t eat anyhow.
The simplest remedy is to feed your dog less food and exercise more. When reducing food intake, add more fiber to your diet. For example, cooked vegetables or unprocessed bran to make the dog fuller and not disturb the owner.
Please pay attention to the information on the dog food bag to see the right amount of food. For example, feeding depends on the “weight level” of the dog. Be careful though, most of these instructions are applicable only in certain cases.
Some owners like to feed the pet a little extra food or a few leftovers. This is also one of the many things we enjoy when we have dogs.
The formula to determine the energy needed to feed the dog every day is: Daily energy requirement (kcal) = 132 x (dog’s body weight in kg) 0.75.
One way to help an obese dog lose weight is to put all the food the dog receives during the day in a bowl with treats. When your dog finishes their portion, you don’t need to give them any more. This is also an effective solution to limit obesity.
You have to be a tough coach
- Regular exercise: The amount of exercise calories must be low, to achieve the weight loss goal, the most effective way to consume calories is to lose weight.
- Control the dog’s nutrition: eat foods that are low in fat, high in fiber, and at the same time reduce the number and feed more meals. This can cause heat loss, thereby reducing fat formation.
Lose weight by eating less to get hungry: hunger won’t produce any side effects. Probably the simplest way. Track and record your dog’s weight monthly. Consult your veterinarian if your dog shows signs of being overweight.
- Exercise is very important in any weight loss therapy with obese dogs. Find ways to increase the length of your dog walk. Include some small play during the day to help your dogs get more active.
There are a number of tools that can both help the dog eat, while forcing them to “work” to get food. Not only overweight dogs, you can do the above to make your puppy more fun. Persistence and patience are an important factor in all weight loss plans, discuss with family members in advance to join hands to eliminate those annoying extra pounds.
The above 3 ways to lose weight are a method that every employer can do. Skinny animals, not only look beautiful, can also prolong their lives. The right way to love your dog is when you provide them with enough daily nutrition to maintain their health and take the time to take them for walks. Instead of overfeeding, it leads to many negative consequences for their long-term health. What your pet wants is your love and care, not over-filling meals.