Teaching your dog to sit on command is one of those supposedly simple commands. But to be successful, you need to be persistent and not in a hurry. In this dog training section, Pet Mart will introduce you to the simplest and most effective ways to teach dogs to sit.
Dog training tools
Use an ultrasonic whistle for dogs
With this simple sitting dog training like this, you don’t need to prepare much. Prepare him for a coil about 15-20 meters long. You take your dog to the flat training ground. Note that the training ground is not bumpy or has objects that block the dog’s view.
Whistles can be used to facilitate dog training. The dog sonic whistle (automatically adjusts the sound) is designed with a sound similar to the language of the dog. Helping the owner to know the easiest way to train a dog on demand. Use a whistle with a variety of approaches to regulate your dog. Example: “Stand still”, 2 short blows. “Sit down”, one long and one short. “Stop”, two long blows …
Clicker to train dogs
You can use a tool called Clicker. Until now we have been accustomed to teaching dogs in two ways: using discipline and food combined with petting or praise to teach dogs. But there is a new method of teaching dogs very quickly and effectively. Suitable for all breeds of dogs Poodle, Pitbull, Berlin, Pug, Corgi …
The trainer makes a connection between each click of the clicker and the one rewarding dog food. Every time you click Clicker, you will reward your dog food immediately. After repeatedly clicking Clicker, the dog will understand that every time he hears Clicker, he will be rewarded. From there, the puppy will get into the habit of doing everything the trainer wants to hear the Clicker. Because you keep listening to Clicker, you have food.
Steps to teach the dog to sit
- Command to sit: The dog owner stands close to the dog at a distance of 1m and tells the dog to “Sit” in front of him. With the left hand holding the coil, the right hand is brought up, slightly pulling the dog’s neck up. The right hand facing the dog allows the dog to clearly see the “Sit”, the command must match the hand raised at the same time.
- Command to lie down: After the sitting has been established, call out the command “Lie”. At the same time with the command to bend over. The right hand pulls the rope face down on the palm of the hand and lowers in a direction that is close to the ground. Practice “Lying”, “Sitting” continuously for 20-30 times.
- Lengthening distance: The next time the next exercise, distance gradually to the end of the length of the rope 10 – 25m. By the time the practice is mastered, we can remove the strings and set the hand commands.
- Finish command: Stand about 10m away from the dog then shout “Sit” while your right hand is raised. The palm was held out in front, the palm pointed to the sky. When shouting “Lie”, lower your hands to your hips. The palm of the hand is facing the ground. Signaling at the same time as when lowering hands.
Dog-sitting exercises are done three times a week for best. After a while, the dog will get used to and absorb such simple commands. Also, use a dog treat to motivate the dog when it has completed a good lesson. It is also a way to help your dog learn signals more quickly. Refer to the following dog treats below:
Train your dog to sit still
The dog will maintain its current position as soon as the command is heard. Train the dog to sit in a position to help the owner control the dog from running around or maintain a posture to facilitate teaching.
Steps to teach the dog to sit still
- Command to sit: Call the dog to run towards you and then order “Sit”. However, instead of clicking the clicker and rewarding the food as soon as it sits, you just stand still so it waits for about 3.4 seconds before clicking Clicker and reward.
- Command Yen: Repeat as above, but this time let your dog sit and wait for a longer time. Doing this will train the dog to be patient and wait for a reward. And it doesn’t have to be rewarded right away. After several times of doing the above practice, keep the dog waiting longer. Once the dog gets used to it, the “Yen” command will begin to apply.
- Command to sit still: When the dog has initially understood the command to obey the command “Yen”, he must wait. You combine commands with the Sit command. Specifically, shouting “Sit still” so that the dog will stay in that sitting position without going anywhere. Once the dog understands the “Yen” command, you will begin to extend the distance to stand near the dog. Command “Sit still” and take a step back. If the dog is still sitting still, immediately press Clicker and approach it to enjoy the food.
- Repeat many times: Repeat the same steps above, but each time extend the distance with the dog a little. Instead of 1 step, step 2, after that the familiar dog increases to 3 steps, 4 steps. And if the dog is still sitting still, press Clicker and step closer to reward. When the dog is used to sitting still and not moving for a while after listening to the command, the dog can change the voice command to another position such as: lying, standing, lying still, standing still …
Pay attention when teaching your dog to sit still
If the dog moves his position or posture on his own without his permission, immediately run back and pull the dog back to the original position and old position and then start over again. Use the word “OK” when you want the dog to no longer have to stay still so that the dog understands it has moved. With just a few simple steps, you can train your dog. Review this exercise daily for them. To create more habits and to keep them from forgetting commands.
Teach your dog to sit quietly and wait for the lesson
Teaching your dog to sit quietly and wait is one of the most commonly used types of training. Especially if you take your dog outside but want to leave to buy something or go to the bathroom. If your dog can learn how to obediently wait for you, that’s good, right. So how to teach dogs to wait quietly?
How to instruct dogs to understand the command “Wait”
First you have to use language and hand actions to let them know: “Wait”. Then leave your dog, no need to go too far. Turn around to see if the dog is standing still as you did when you left. If they really don’t leave their positions, you can return to them to reward them. It is possible to give them some food, caress their necks and shoulders.
Be aware that your dog does not understand what you say. Even intelligent does not have this ability. If you feel that they are “good at understanding people” at times, it’s just because they remember how you praised them. On the contrary, if you find out after you leave, they follow. This phenomenon is very likely to happen, you must immediately repeat the previous training.
Also, use signs and body language to let your dog know: you are very dissatisfied with their recent behavior. Do it over and over again, and the dog will be able to understand the true implications of wanting them to “Wait”. After this you can extend the time and distance to leave gradually. Your dog will gradually develop a habit of waiting for you to finish handling the return.
Pay attention when teaching your dog to sit and wait
Teaching your dog to sit quietly requires patience. Sometimes they may not listen because they do not understand. At such times you should guide them slowly from the start. With a particularly active dog, it can take weeks of practice until it gets used to the command to sit.
When you teach your dog to sit still and wait, take him to a large place. These are places where the dog will not be disturbed to study fully. Practice each movement each time, every day for 15 minutes after completing one movement. First, practice the chain again, be satisfied, then teach another move. When they do wrong or disobey, they should not punish them, but touch their heads and encourage them to say a few sentences. That way, the more obedient they will listen, because the reward is never less critical.
How to teach dogs to sit left and right
To teach left and right sitting, you need a training bar, dog food and a Clicker. Implementation steps include:
With the training bar combined with the food handle, navigate the dog to the right and stand on your left side. Right after that click Clicker and reward.
Repeat step 1 several times, finally saying: “left” “right” as soon as the dog is on the left or right side.
Repeat this until the dog understands and does not need the training stick. It can go left, right by your command.
Once your dog has understood the command to sit left and right, begin teaching him how to sit on his left and right feet. First, you teach it the command “close to the foot” fixed on the left. When you enter this lesson, just use the trainer to move it to your right. Thus, you can easily teach this command and shout: “Close to the feet”. The dog will run close to your left leg.
Then, use the bait or the training stick to guide the dog to your right. Repeat this many times and say “Yes”. In just about 10 minutes, you don’t need to use the trainer to guide it. The rest is just to take the time to practice.
If teaching the dog to sit on the left or the right makes it difficult for the dog to understand, you should teach the command “Close your feet” first. Then you navigate it to the right. It only takes about 2 lessons for the dog to practice proficiently.